Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Lost Arts

Things atrophy when you dive into your career
For me what was lost was my arts

I was asked tonight in dance class one thing that surprised me about tonights class. What came up was that I am a Dancer. I am. I have been doing this since or before I could walk, my mother claims, and I trained for over a decade. Ballet, Toe (or Point), Modern, Jazz, African, Brazillian, Gitano (Gypsy) and much more. I don't know when I lost this dicipline, or how, but it is now who I am as I have reclaimed this art of mine. My teacher and friend helped me with this tonight.


The other is singing. I am a singer. I always have been. I was in major productions for years, in bands, had major voice lessons, recitals, solos in choir, had a call back for a certain Broadway Musical I shall not reveal for fear that I will be teased to no end like I was when I was younger and my lunch lady made me sing a song from it in front of the Whole Cafeteria fuggettaboutit.... so yea. I have PTSD clearly from this experience. But yes, I am a good singer and I promised my Grandmother...

My point is that there is so much here to learn, focus on, do. I have had to make some decisions about classes and where my focus will be. I have decided that dance and voice will be my artistic focus for my time here. Sure I'd love to take the Art of Sexual Extacy with Margot Anand or Spritual Duality with Carolyn Myss, but I need to FOCUS cause otherswise I will be like the moth fluttering about my tent last night. Lets say the Spiders have crossed my boundaries after last night....

1 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Helen said...

rock On! sing on! wow, your journey is... a lifetime away for me but it's also just in my reach, it's making me think, assess, settle, rest. etc. loving the spider chapters. ha! it's like my notsoloveaffair with wasps. damnfuckingwasps. we've made friends, we have. except when they build their home on my home. this is not allowed. and when I tried to let them know this they attacked me so I had to smoosh their home. I still feel kind of guilty. anyway, enough of that. went to see the devil wears prada tonight. you know, I'm thinking of coming out to long island to visit my friend jen for five days - are you anywhere near there? I hear east coast I think Xt is out there! Where are you again? I know omega but is that close to long island?! ha! wow, I am loving hearing about your experience there... dance and sing on you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home