Friday, March 17, 2006

Kiss Me I'm Irish!


St. Patricks Day in San Francisco is usually more annoying than joyous, with drunken slobs smelling up the streets and pissing green everywhere. I grew up going to the pubs in the East Village, celebrating with my friends and remembering it as a very fun "holiday". Then they wouldn't let gay people march in the parade and it all went to hell after that. So I am very Irish, my Grandmother's Mother and three sisters (out of a family of 9 count em 9, my great great grandmother had eleven children but two passed on) came to the US "on the boat" so they say and worked very hard to be here .They lived together in Connecticut and were known as the foxy sisters before some of them married. They worked as seamstresses for rich families , including Mr. Warner of the Warner Bro's, who fancied my Great Grandmother Kate and was tried to be super handsy with her. She was tough shit though, and made her own liquor out of potatoes in her tub, so you know she wasn't having it.....Anyway, Happy St. Patrick's day, stay away from the green beer!

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Helen said...

making booze outta potatoes. gotta love a woman who can do THAT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home