Saturday, February 25, 2006

Swooning San Francisco


I have been having one of those perfect San Francisco weeks. The weather has been lovely, I have been walking everywhere, and I am seeing my Favorite peeps. And also to top it off, my WT Jessica (that stands for Whiskey Twin in XT language) is "accidentily" moving back to San Francisco! We spent Thursday night celebrating with Ari and Toni and the ladies (Sienna and Lila their pups) having a gorgeous dinner, and just just being us. Toni is also a closet Olympics skating fan and we watched the finals, enjoying the competitiveness, costumes, rude commentators, and oh the hair! It was great to be with my wives again and I look forward to many more nights of just being us!

Friday I went to an amazing training conference/celebration that I have attended every year for the past eight years, African American Mental Health. It is put on by a friend/co-worker that was one of my mentors when I worked with homeless disabled adults (my first real social worky job 9 years ago) and it is meant to teach about African American Cultures, customs, history, and educate around what the needs really are right now in this field and the world around us. There is lots of drumming and dancing and soul food and traditional clothing too. I love it and it reminds me of how incredible my work is. I get to see friends and co-workers that I have been with in all of my capacities here, and I always leave with a glow.

It's wild because a man with the same man as my friend who created this conference was killed by a disgruntled client earlier this year, shot three times with a shot gun. One of my other co-workers was injured, as were others. When I learned of this, hearing his name, I just absolutely lost it, feeling as if this earth had lost one of the best teachers we have. It was cleared up later that it was a different Bruce Williams, and it really was such a reminder of how fleeting this life can be, as well as how dangerous my work really is. In greeting Bruce yesterday I felt so thankful to have one more day, one more year hopefully, being here.

And then it was off to Brimeezas Salon! They are so swonderful and fancy and have been hosting Salon's with interesting topics, this time was:

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?".
Tameeza had to fly back to Dubai as her uncle has grown very sick sadly enough, and she was missed terribly. There was a beautiful gathering of beautiful, smart and interesting people, a lot of people I pleasantly had not known already.
Ok so here is my list:

1. Compete in an Olympic sport, probably the Luge... this is terribly facinating to me at this juncture as it is in direct contrast to what I am doing with my life or... driving a bio-diesel Monster Truck. That one got the crowd going...
2. Open an healing arts center (i am so frikin no-cal) with all of my friends using our talets such as: KT/Toni legal, Lenira on Aryveda, Jess on creativitiy and story telling, London/Ellen our Estheticians, me on creative arts therapy (with Kerry and Rachel and Corey and Tameeza as the other Therapists) Trina teaching Yoga and Dance, Cesar teaching Spanish, KC teaching everything else.. well .. you get the point. I have a lot of amazing creative friends who are so talented and we would all work in a beautiful Victorian house with an organic garden in the back (which would also be a class) and teach these arts to the community at large for low fee. Mostly my population now being at risk youth and their families.

Ok so the scariest thing and what was pointed out last night was that
ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!
As were the other thoughts that were shared. One of my favorites was Dav Impossibles- who was crowned the Bullshit Sheriff by Jessica and I (he and Mayor Fromage Mie were so damned cute last night) who was going to create a way for people to change ethnicities every two years, morphing slowly into them. Bloody Brilliant!!!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home