Sunday, February 12, 2006

Circo Romani and Other Rantings


My weekend had a rough start, but after much physical and emotional clearing, I am back tof feeling like my bouncy self that I have been recently. Spent a lot of time outdoors and I know this made a difference. Yoga and a long long walk on Ocean beach, definately cleansing during this warm patch we are having. Meanwhile the East Coast is under a foot of snow. Ahem...

Received the most wonderful care package from Jeneye, an East Coast sista living in Washington with her man Dragi that I met through THE BEACH. After a short visit there early in the fall, she remembered what music I wanted to burn and sent the most beautiful card with a slew of discs. I was so so touched. She felt very familiar when I met her, definately one of my tribe.

Speaking of Tribes, Circo Romani was this weekend, a Gypsy Dinner Circus at cell space, put on by an artist collective dedicated to bringing Romani (Gitano, Gypsy) Culture to life. So much is misunderstood about them, and I am thankful for C.R.'s creativity and attempt to remain authentic. Elaine, Toni and I caught the show on Thursday and I think they did a good job. I love that I share this ancestry with a resiliant and colorful people. When I was just out of college I spent years researching the gypsies and my ancestry. The first time I watched "Latcho Drom" (Fantastic Documentary!) with my Irish/Gypsy sister Samantha I wept as I realized, I danced like them! No wonder I was always being disciplined in ballet class, I had the fever! It's amazing to me how they continue to survive despite such harsh circumstances- racism, poverty, homelessness, and all that goes with it. Their creativity and resiliance, their dedication to their "people" is to be admired. Some day I hope to dedicate more time to their/our cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home