Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Pray For Grace


In reading over this new blog, I am acutely aware (and a bit bashful) about how much I refer to praying, spirituality, being blessed, and all of that stuff in general. I guess it's because internally I have a huge spiritual world that I feel somewhat private about.This is just a big part of my life and I guess a lot of it would come out here. Cause really, I am prayin about fifty times a day. Seriously. I pray for the bus, give thanks for that car not running me over, please oh please let me catch that BART (I guess a lot is around transit...). It's just me. It's just the way I was raised, and it's how I relate to the Universe around me. I am thankful for this and the positive effect it has on my life and those around me.

I had a really good talk with a friend last night, mostly about acceptance and forgiveness. He reminded me of a prayer that I refer to often:
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

It's usually used in 12 Step Programs, and it's truth is so clear.


Here is something I love ~ that I also wanted to share:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
by Marianne Williamson

Shine On!

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Helen said...

You, my love, are so wonderful. Thank you for praying. Thank you for bringing into my consciousness. I've been actually wanting to pray more, wanting to experience the feeling that pours over one when in deep prayer. It is something that in many ways eludes and confuses me. Questions come like, who am I praying to? Once I start praying, how do I stop (i.e. it makes me thinking of this person and that person and this city and that city and this problem and that problem). How does it really work? Etc. Today, this moment, I pray for safe arrivals March 3rd - mom coming home, Katia's baby's birth, and me to SF!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Scott and Christie said...

Thank you so much H! Hmmm, how do you pray? Good question. For me, it's almost just like a conversation, really. Nothing formal, but in my world my higher source is really informal, so that makes it easier I guess. Who are you praying to? Well, guess that is one of the mysteries of life my dear. I've always just had a sense that their is something larger than science running the show, but also still believe in our own free will to let or allow things to happen. Has many names as well; source, Universe, God, Mary, Buddah, Jesus, Goddess. To me they are mostly interchangable, figurheads so to speak...I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you, your mum and igirl will all be arriving safely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home